Information often leads to challenges...

In our house, Tuesday, December 9th was Mackenna's birthday with mostly happy birthday discussions and memories. At least for Mackenna and I. On Wednesday, I was opening the daily mail and I received a grief support letter that started by with something along the lines of "Colleen has been gone six months now..." and it hit me. Tuesday, December 9th was also the six month anniversary of Colleen's death. I said something to Vince and he said that "he didn't want to ruin my day". It was apparent that he had been thinking about it. I am pretty sure that my Mom had remembered too but it was too late to call her and what if she hadn't? I guess this is another example of how people grieve differently because I have not been counting the months (although it doesn't feel like it has been six). However, it makes me feel so bad when I realize that people I love suffer on days like that and I don't remember it so that I can support them properly. With that said, I live by my calendar and I don't want to go writing reminders on my calendar. I am open to suggestions if anyone has been through a similiar situation.

As for my efforts to establish Striving for More, I spoke to the second attorney last night. I had a really good conversation with him and I will meet with next week. I have begun completing my rough draft of the Form 1023 (Application for Recognition of Exemption). I am on page 7 of 28 which should make me feel good. However, many of the questions that I skipped over require me to go back and write paragraph long answers. Everyone says that this is the most difficult part of the process. I would like to have this part done, in rough draft before I see the attorney so that I know where all of my questions are.

It is helping me in other ways too. For example, I now know that if Vince or another family member were to serve on the board, that would make it more complicated (we have no desire for that, it is just an example). It has also encouraged me to think through other concepts such as the idea of accepting automobiles as donations. Do I have any volunteers that could manage that for me. Well, a little thought and one phone call later and it turns out that I do so it can be considered. These are just examples of how this form triggers lots of other thoughts, discussions and decisions. For the most part, I am thinking it through, having some initial discussions and I will review with the attorney, as long as things don't complicate the establishment of the organization, I will set it up with flexibility and then leave the decisions for the board.

Speaking of the board... I am actively pursuing board members right now. One of the potential board members that I had who was the President of a Financial Planning Company found out from his compliance department that he cannot be on our board and handle the Foundations funds. So now I have 4 board members including me and I need 7.

A good board member is passionate about the purpose of the foundation and has the desire and ability to help promote it through their time, talents and/or treasures. A good board member can attract interest and excitement and prestige to the organization. Having people on the board who have varying abilities like bankers, commercial real estate agents, attorneys, CPAs, CEOs, etc. brings a useful knowledgebase to board discussions as well as the ability to tap into their professional networks for fundraising. I do not expect board members (besides me) to have to make a significant time commitment.
Board members do not need to be local. The current board has two local people, a physician from Duke and a CEO from RTP, NC as well as a physician from TX. I am still pursuing a physician from PA.

If you have a suggestion of someone you think would fit the criteria that I set forth above, or you are interested yourself, I would love to hear from you.



0 comments:

Be a Facebook Fan!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP