Wacky Hair and Newly Found Confidence to Go With It!

Today was a good day. Wednesdays usually are not such good days for me because they start out with grief group and that is a tough way to start the day.

However, today, I decided that I was going to find a salon to give me crazy hair for free. So, I armed myself with a picture of Colleen and I, a print out of from the St. Baldrick's site showing that I am the top female fund raiser in Raleigh right now, and my Striving for More Article of Incorporation from the State.

The first salon I happened upon was Finesse Salon & Spa at 4406 Old Wake Forest Road (right next to Red Lobster). I went in and spoke to April (the manager). She was fantastic. I barely got my spiel out of my mouth and she agree to help me. She was so enthusiastic, it was fantastic.

So April and a stylist named Katie started working on my hair right away. I specifically went during a typically slow time so that I would not take away from their other business so they were able to help me right away. I had a blast. It was so liberating letting them do whatever they wanted and April was so great. She knew that I wanted to get attention and she was so great helping me get wild. You see the picture. I ended up with platinum blond hair with a blue faux hawk. And this is permanent dye... well I guess until it gets shaved off on March 7th.

April offered me gift certificates and offered to run other fund raising events at the salon to support Striving for More as well. We are going to talk more about that in the future. She was fantastic. When I say in my title that I have new found confidence, it actually has very little to do with my hair. It has to do with the fact that I went into this salon and I asked for a donation and I was received so well, I have confidence in myself for my future fundraising capabilities. I might actually be able to do this. I was doubting myself a bit.

This weekend, Ed's sermon was on fear. He reminded us that when we are afraid, it is ok to ask God to show us what He has in store for us. I had never actually thought of doing that before. I thought that turning your life over to God meant and letting Him be in control meant that you were not allowed to know the future. So, I never prayed about asking to see what He had in store. After hearing the sermon, I have been praying about asking to see what God has in store for me because I am nervous and fearful of my future.

I feel like that prayer has been answered in a small way. In that I have been shown that perhaps I can actually be successful at fund raising and that maybe what I did today is what my future will look like for a little while.

Today, I am thankful for answered prayers and generous strangers who have become new friends and supporters.

2 comments:

Adesta February 12, 2009 at 8:14 AM  

First, I LOVE the new hair!!! It's crazy and Colleen would have loved it!!! I am so glad that you had such an easy time of finding a salon to help you in your task and quite ecstatic for you that they are willing to help you in the future with fundraising! What a great group of people they are!!!

Secondly, Diane, I'm glad to hear that you have found some new confidence within yourself. You will be able to do anything you set your mind to, that is the type of woman you are. Colleen would be so proud of you. And I know, that Vince and Mackenna are just as proud of you.

Much love and hugs

Elaine February 13, 2009 at 3:00 PM  

LOVE the hair! You should maybe consider blue for the future...
I think it's great that you're praying and asking God to show you the future! On that topic, I read a really great book called Visioneering, by Andy Stanley, that was very practical and inspiring, and all about turning a vision into reality. If you want to borrow it, let me know!

Be a Facebook Fan!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP