Going to Guatemala

I am very sorry that it has been so long since I posted on my blog. I am going to try to get better about that.

1) I am leaving on Sunday to spend a week in Guatemala for what was initially planned to be a spiritual pilgrimage but is turning into a mission trip. My friend Karen Brown and I will be spending the week with people from Lemonade International in La Lemonade which is the ghetto of Guatemala City. We will be primarily working with children. I have never done anything like this. I am looking forward to moving out of my comfort zone, doing something different and releasing my mind of all things cancer related for the week. Shifting my focus to the severely impoverished will be good perspective for me to gain.
2) Striving for More had their June Board Meeting and we added a new board member. We were all feeling a gap without a member that had experience with fund raising so that was a focus of my prayers for most of May. Deborah Harrell Meehan was voted onto the board and was quickly assigned as the chair of the fundraising committee. Deborah is the leader of the Wild Wacky Wonderful Women of the World and served as the President of the Wake Women's Center for the last 5 years. Her background, experience, contacts and wealth of knowledge make her a wonderful addition to our team. I am really excited that she has joined us.

3) FWV Distilled has agreed to take on Striving for More as a pro bono client to design and develop a new website for us. This is very exciting because they will be doing some market research work to determine the best approach for designing the new site. This has been the missing piece since I don't have a creative bone in my body.

Please pray for Karen and I as we travel to Guatemala. Also, please pray for Vince and Mackenna as they will be alone this week. Since most of you know how spoiled I am, I have no doubt that Vince is perfectly capable of handling things on his own. However, I will not have a cell phone and will not be touching base at home and we have never had time apart where we have not at least spoken to each other. This will be different for us.

1 comments:

Adesta July 13, 2009 at 7:57 AM  

Have a wonderful and safe trip! Can't wait to hear about your adventures!!! Be safe.

Be a Facebook Fan!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP