Helping Other Families in Guatemala

I came to La Lemonada to see firsthand what it is like in one of the largest slums in Central America. I have been following Lemonade International and Tita’s work through their blogs and I felt that God wanted me to come here.

My first day was an emotional one. After parking the car, we walked on foot, approaching the ghetto. Although I had seen it in pictures, it was hard to not be struck by the horror of the poverty. I have to admit, I was curious to see how people live in these seemingly uninhabitable shacks of sheet metal built on the side of a ravine. Afraid to look too close but curious at the same time. Sort of the way you feel when driving past a terrible car crash.

As the day unraveled, we had several close encounters that stirred my emotions. God had a purpose for me here. God needed me to see that other people lose children every day. A mother and father lost a son yesterday in a violent stabbing. I went with Tita to the wake and was able to share my story of how their pain will ease. Another family lost a son today (he hanged himself). Tomorrow we will find them. I hope I will be able to comfort them.

The sights and smells of the poverty here are disturbing but God is helping me see past that. There is more for me to see, more for me to feel, more for me to do. Today I feel blessed that I am fortunate to have enough money to travel here to do this work. Many people in the world are trapped, trapped in their sheet metal homes in the side of ravines.

3 comments:

Anonymous July 14, 2009 at 8:50 AM  

WOW!! Diane... you are an amazing women. Stay safe!

Bill Cummings July 16, 2009 at 9:48 PM  

Thank you for being there... and for your words. Even though this is my life's work, your perspective inspires and encourages me!

Kerry July 21, 2009 at 11:43 AM  

I'm glad that you were able to see God's work in La Limonada.

Be a Facebook Fan!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP