My Spiritual Pilgrimage to Guatemala

My initial plan was to travel to Guatemala for a Spiritual Pilgrimage with the goals of connecting with God, learning from others and hopefully being transformed with humility by the experience. Upon hearing about the work of Lemonade International, I was moved to take a more active role and turn my spiritual pilgrimage into a mini mission trip to help the Lemonade International team with the important work that they do in the La Lemonada ghetto. Although I may not have had the solitude or study that a traditional pilgrimage usually entails, I feel my goals were achieved.

The entire trip was unforgettable. However, these are the moments that stood out for me.

  • I spoke to many families and came to the realization that most of them had lost at least one child. Although my life of a lost child does not parallel that of most of my peers here, it did parallel most of the women I met in Guatemala. There was an odd sense of comfort in that discovery.
  • Watching children walk down to the ravine to dump their trash and other children rummage through the trash in the river after the rain. You see, garbage men do not even go into the ghetto. Therefore, the people of La Lemonada dump their trash into the ravine. Initially this seems awful but then you realize that they don’t have any other choice.
  • Accompanying Tita and her team of International workers into the ghetto each morning was in itself an emotional experience. I almost felt like I was part of a scene in a dramatic movie. Children with gobs of enthusiasm advanced on us squealing “Mana Tita, Mana Tita” (short for Hermana Tita or Sister Tita). Hugs, kisses and “Buenos Diaz” were doled out to everyone in the crowd. A screen writer could not write a scene this heartwarming.
  • One of my goals for this trip was to find a child to sponsor. We had decided that we would like to sponsor a young girl in Colleen’s honor. It was important to me that I felt moved by the child I met. On the last day of our trip, we went to the playground to play with the kids from the Limon school during their “field day”. Shortly after arriving, I spotted a little girl that caught my eye and she approached me and hugged me. I asked her name and she said “Helen”. I quickly found out that she was 8 and that her favorite thing in the world was Hannah Montana. She had a light in her eye that reminded me of Colleen. After I communicated my desire to sponsor her to our hosts, I was told that before my arrival, Helen had told one of the teachers that she really wanted a “Madrina” (Godmother or Sponsor) and asked how she could get one. The teacher told her that all she could do was pray to God. Twenty minutes later, I showed up on the field and spotted her knowing that she was the girl that I had to sponsor. I look forward to the day when I can visit Helen again after she has been told that I am her Madrina.
What a wonderful feeling to be able to help a child.

See all of my pictures from the trip at my Picasa site.

1 comments:

Adesta July 21, 2009 at 11:27 AM  

I am so glad that your Pilgrimage was a successful one for you. Helen sounds like a wonderful little girl.

Be a Facebook Fan!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP