Docked with Time for Reflection

Today we are docked in Port Canaveral and I have a strong enough cell signal that I am able to use my cell phone and as a modem to write this blog.

You may wonder why I am on the ship writing this when I could be out enjoying the Florida weather. We did take a 3 hour "Wilderness Excursion" earlier but we did not have enough clothes to keep us warm enough and decided to return to the warmth of the ship as it is only 43 degrees here today (and that does not count the wind chill coming off the water). We did get to see lots of birds on our pontoon cruise and the people were nice but we were all a bit disappointed that the dolphins and the manatees didn't make an appearance.

I have cruised many times in my life. In fact, when I was about 19 or 20 I took a cruise to Bermuda alone (through a travel agent that booked me with about 24 other singles) and it was one of the best vacations that I have ever had. However, Vince and Mackenna had never been on a cruise before this one. We have collectively decided that this will be our last. This is just not the environment for us not to mention that the weather has been unusually cold the entire time.

The good news is that we did get one sunny day in Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas (the cruise line's own island) where Mackenna had her first snorkeling experience in crystal blue water and she loved it. She and her Dad enjoyed the time together even though the water was very cold. I, on the other hand, sat on the beach and finally finished reading The Shack by William P. Young. I cried hysterically but it was probably because it hit very close to home for me. It definitely was an important book in my Christian journey and I have heard other people say that it has changed their lives so I recommend it if you have not read it. I have to be honest, it was a hard read for me at first (seemed a bit hokey) but I liked the message it had to send.

If you have never done it before, I also highly recommend taking a trip completely alone. In fact, I am considering doing it again this yearr. My church is encouraging everyone in the church to take a pilgrimage this year and helping to arrange trips. I am considering going on a trip to a Salt Lake City Emergent Community. I want to be within a community where there are not as many Christians. I want to talk less and listen more. Listen to God and to others and to learn from it.

Not sure why I am talking about taking this trip when we are not even home yet. Vince is antsy to get home. So am I. This trip was good. This is the first day since we left that I have had a laptop on my lap and it is usually a fixture that is permanently affixed to my body so it has been a needed break. We have spent a lot of time with Mackenna and she has said that she has enjoyed it although she states she would rather just fly to "one of these places next time and stay in a hotel" and we all agreed.

It never ceases to amaze me how God puts people in your path. The one event that I decided to do on this ship alone was the "Martini Tasting". I sat next to this couple and started chatting and eventually got around to what I do for a living and how I got to this point in my life. You should know that about 80% of the people on this ship seem to be over the age of 60 and seem to keep to themselves. So at this point, I had not chatted with anyone. Anyway, they tell me that they are both nurses and that she is an oncology nurse. We spoke for a while longer and they really encouraged me and what I am doing for the kids. I am thankful that God had these two people sitting next to me. Yes... even at a martini tasting.

That's all for now. There is a trivia challenge at 8pm that sounds like it might be fun and we haven't had dinner yet. We leave port at 9:30 so I will most likely be incommunicado until we return on Saturday so I hope every has a good Friday.

0 comments:

Be a Facebook Fan!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP